Just another UMW Blogs weblog
  1. Trapped in Elevator, alone, with a person you would walk across the street to avoid.  Write a dialogue.

Office Party Aftermath

“Hold the door!  Linda?  Hey!  Jeez, almost didn’t see you behind that newspaper!  Lucky for me I spotted you!  Whew, this box is heavy—crazy how I managed to make it on and here you are!”

“Bruce!  …Uhm yeah, I guess you and your eagle eye…caught me…like a bird of prey…”

“So, tell me, how have you been?  We have so much catching up to do!  I’ve been trying to call you, but I think something’s wrong with your phone.  Every time I call I get some Asian man!  How weird is that?”

“Oh, you know, I’m just busy as usual.  And that’s pretty weird…I can’t imagine why you’d be getting the wrong person on the line…”

“Did you hear that screech?  I think something’s up with the elevator…hang on, I’ll use the phone to call the front desk.  Yes, hi, I was wondering if you all know what’s going on with this elevator car?”

“Sir, if you will just stay calm, it seems we’re having some technical issues, but they’ll be resolved shortly.”

“Well, looks like it’s just you and me…here…alone…for a while.  And you know, seein’ as I haven’t been able to get through to your phone, it has been a while since we were last together…if you know what I mean.”

“Bruce.  Seriously?  It was the office Christmas party.  I had a little too much to drink.  It was a peck on the cheek, for God’s sake!”

“Linda, there was so much more to it, though!  I could feel it.  So drinks after work tonight?  Or maybe coffee tomorrow?  I went up to your floor a few days ago to say hi, but you weren’t in your office.  I noticed a picture of you and friends at the bowling alley—we could go there!  Bowling?  Fun, right?”

“No, Bruce.  No bowling.  Not fun.  Now please, we’ve gone over this, just stop.”

“OK, so no bowling, I get it!  Not a big deal.  There’s that new Italian restaurant..we could–”
“Bruce!  I appreciate the invite, but we’ve talked about this, and I’m not interested.   Thank you anyway.  I’m going to read my newspaper now, all right?  And you can…organize whatever is in that box you’re carrying.  See?  Good times.  Good, quiet times.”

“Oh, gosh, this box is a mess isn’t it?  I should have packed a little more carefully…but you know I just got so caught up in this game of World of Warcraft last night that I forgot I was going to be transferring—Hey!  Wouldya look at that!  The elevator’s back online!  That was unfortunately quick.  Ah, guess we didn’t get to completely catch up…so that Italian restaurant…?”

“Well, it looks like we’re right at my floor, Bruce!  I’m gonna go now.  You shouldn’t waste your time visiting, I’m sure you’re just as busy as I am.  Goodbye!”

“Goodbye?  This is my new stop!  The box, this is everything from my old office!  Corporate transferred me, isn’t that great?”

“Wait, what?  Transfer?  This floor?  Where?”

“Well you’re in office suite 301, right?  I’m just down the hall!  304!  We’ll get to see so much more of each other!  I’ve got an idea.  I’ll swing by your office for lunch.  I know you’re really busy and won’t be able to leave, so I packed my meal.  Come on, now, you can get off the elevator; we’re on the floor finally and we don’t want that cab getting’ stuck again, no matter how much I enjoyed your company!  Gotta run, but see you later, Lunch Date!”

WORD COUNT:  587

One Response to “Journal 2: Office Party Aftermath”

1. Warren Rochelle on January 31st, 2011 1:39 pm

Like Bruce’s persistence, although I am wondering why Lindia isn’t more forceful in telling him no.